We are a politically and religiously neutral organisation and as such are active in all areas of the country. We are aware that the local population and the natural environment in the areas in which we operate are crucially important both to us and to our guests. We wish to take the interests of the local population into account as far as possible, as well as respect their independence and culture, and to make every effort to minimise our environmental impact. We support environmentally-friendly youth hostels and leisure activities which have a negligible impact on the landscape.
Schaan-Vaduz Youth Hostel
WHO WE ARE
Swiss Youth Hostels is a politically and denominationally neutral non-profit organisation with the legal form of a non-profit association.
Swiss Youth Hostels Association is responsible for operating the youth hostels in Switzerland and in the Principality of Liechtenstein, with the aim of establishing a comprehensive network of youth hostels in attractive tourist regions and destinations in all parts of Switzerland and the Principality of Liechtenstein.
The Swiss Youth Hostels are represented by two further independent partner organisations in addition to the Swiss Youth Hostels Association:
- The Swiss Foundation for Social Tourism is the proprietor of the youth hostels (properties) or leases these for use by the Swiss Youth Hostels Association.
- The Foundation for Youth Hostels in Switzerland provides financial support in the form of long-term loans for the construction of youth hostels.
Network Map of the Swiss Youth Hostels
Status April 2021
In 2020, two very special new youth hostels were opened, Castle Burgdorf on 28 May and the wellnessHostel3000 in Laax on 18 December. Le Bémont Youth Hostel closed its doors for good on 24 October after 56 years.
Schaan-Vaduz Youth Hostel was closed in 2020 due to the construction of a new building. It will reopen on 1 April 2021. Rapperswil-Jona Youth Hostel was modernised during the winter and made barrier-free. It opens on 30 April 2021.
Saas-Fee Youth Hostel
Saas-Fee Youth Hostel
What we want
Swiss Youth Hostels wants
- to promote quality-oriented, socially responsible and environmentally-friendly tourism for young people and families;
- to focus on human relations;
- to live up to the idea of partnership at all levels;
- to strengthen our image and standing as the most important tourist organisation for young people and families;
- to achieve appropriate business results in order to ensure the continued existence of our organisation.
Saas-Fee Youth Hostel
Because future opportunities in our fast-moving world can only be seized through new ideas, it is our goal to consciously promote innovative thought and action at all levels within our organisation. We support practice-oriented, critical research into tourism, which we view as an important means of providing information that enables us to formulate an integrated and forward-looking policy for our association.
Best of ibex fairstay│St. Moritz Youth Hostel
Switzerland’s Best Employer 2021│2nd place in the categories Gastronomy, Tourism, Accommodation, Entertainment and Leisure
ICOMOS Switzerland | “Bella Lui” Youth Hostel in Crans-Montana nominated for Historical Hotel of the Year
Hostelling International | «The most Sustainable National Association»
Swiss Environmental Prize | Special award for long-standing commitment and a valuable contribution to environmental and climate protection
myclimate Award | Distinction as a «Pioneer for integrated climate protection in the hotel industry»
Global Youth Travel Awards | Second place in the «Green Accommodation Initiative» area
Watt d’Or | wellnessHostel4000 and Aqua Allalin Saas-Fee, Gstaad Saanenland Youth Hostel – winners in the «Buildings and Space» category
Prix Lignum | wellnessHostel4000 Saas-Fee – 3rd place in the «Prix Lignum Wood Award 2015» in the Centre West region
Milestone Schweiz | wellnessHostel4000 and Aqua Allalin Saas-Fee – 2nd place in the «Outstanding Projects» category
«Good Buildings Award» by the cantons of Basel-City and Basel-Land | Basel Youth Hostel
HI-5ives! Awards | Interlaken Youth Hostel «Best Hostel 2013»
HI-5ives! Awards | Interlaken Youth Hostel «Most Comfortable Hostel 2013»
Holzhandwerk | Award for woodworking; special award for the renovation and expansion of St. Moritz Youth Hostel
The 50 best annual reports in Switzerland | Winner in the NPO category
ZKB Sustainability Award for SMEs | Distinction for outstanding contribution in the field of sustainable development
Swiss Solar Prize | Award in category A «Personalities / Institutions», for comprehensive environmental management and a pioneering role in environmentally compatible tourism
Award Marketing + Architecture | Distinction for Scuol Youth Hostel, overall winner
Award Marketing + Architecture | Distinction for Scuol Youth Hostel, special award «Green Technology»
Award Marketing + Architecture | Distinction for Scuol Youth Hostel, winner of «Hotels, Restaurants» category
myclimate Award | Distinction for best integration of CO2 compensation
Hans E. Moppert Prize | Distinction for Scuol Youth Hostel for sustainable tourism in the Alps
ICOMOS Award | Distinction for Zurich Youth Hostel for its sensitive renovation of a building from the 1960s
Milestone. Swiss Tourism Award | Tourism award for sustainability strategy
Event Master Award Switzerland | Winner in the «Public Events» category for the 75 events carried out as part of the anniversary celebrations for «75 years of Swiss Youth Hostels»
Goldene Reisekutsche Berlin | Bronze Medal for the basic campaign
Promoting responsible and sustainable behaviour is an important objective for the Swiss Youth Hostels. Accordingly, already in 1994 our mission statement laid the foundations for a balanced approach regarding our economic, social and ecological activities.
We believe that sustainability means taking into account not only social and ethical issues, but also the sensible use of resources.
- Prices are set in such a way that services remain affordable whilst nevertheless guaranteeing good quality and fair wages.
- Products and services are designed so that anyone can visit a youth hostel.
- During construction and operation, we not only take into consideration the needs of our guests, but also the consequences for our partners, our neighbours and the destinations.
- The Swiss Youth Hostels are a non-profit organisation. The services are designed such that sufficient income is generated to ensure continuity for employees and further development potential for the organisation.
- Energy consumption and the resulting emissions are leading indicators in all activities of the Swiss Youth Hostels – be it in construction, operation or purchasing.
- We focus particularly on applying sustainability principles along the entire value chain.
All hostels are run using a comprehensive management and quality system and certified with the ibex fairstay label.
ibex fairstay certified hostels
The label is recertified every three years. The hostels in Basel, Bern, Interlaken, Kreuzlingen, Lausanne, Locarno, Pontresina, wellnessHostel4000 Saas-Fee, Scuol, St. Moritz, Valbella Zurich all achieved the highest rating, ibex fairstay Platinum.
St. Moritz Youth Hostel won the “Best of ibex fairstay” prize, awarded for the first time in 2020. All accommodation facilities which were recertified within 12 months by ibex fairstay were assessed.
St. Moritz Youth Hostel
St. Moritz Youth Hostel